The latest version of the CAS module now includes the ability to a single user or perform a bulk operation to add multiple users sharing the same role assignment. Whichever option you choose to pursue, you first will use your admin panel to navigate to Manage » People.
Add a single CAS user
Click on the + Add user button.
- In the Add user screen, provide the following information:
- Email address - provide the user's UC Davis email address for the person.
- Allow user to log in via CAS - check the box and then added the person's Kerberos ID in the CAS username field. Please note that this may be entirely different than the beginning of their email address. If in doubt, check with the user to find out their login ID for Kerberos.
- Username - the way you input the username will be exactly how it appears related to this person anywhere on the site. It's recommended that you use the person's first and last name, i.e.; Jane Doe, John Smith.
- Password and Confirm password - Use a long random string of characters and numbers. This won't be used again as members of your site will be prompted to enter their existing Kerberos ID and password when logging in. Consider using a site like http://passwordsgenerator.net/ to generate secure random passwords.
- Status - active
- Roles - managers can assign ONE of the following:
- Editor (already includes Contributor access)
- Manager (already includes Contributor and Editor access)
The list proceeds from the least level of access at the top and gradually increases for each subsequent role. "Stacking" roles isn't necessary. If you initially assign someone as a Contributor and then realize you need to expand their access, uncheck the Contributor box and assign the new role level. If you would like to review each role's permissions, take a look at the Roles and Permissions Matrix.
- Notify user of new account - check the box (if you would like to customize the welcome message, review the configuration instructions).
- URL alias - leave blank
- Click the Create new account button to finish.
Add multiple CAS users
Click on the + Add CAS user(s) button.
- In the CAS username(s) field enter in the Kerberos ID of each person you want to provide the same type of role to, one ID per line.
- Select the Role you want to assign to your user(s) from the checkbox list. Your result will resemble this example output:
- Click the Create new accounts button.
If you use the bulk CAS user option YOU OR YOUR USER(S) MUST CHECK THEIR EMAIL ADDRESS INFORMATION. The module takes the information you supplied for the Kerberos ID and uses that for the email address, but not all email addresses are based on the Kerberos ID name; long-time employees of the campus were often given the leeway to request their own email name or they were created using a different convention other than Kerberos. Additionally, it leaves the email address incomplete by not adding in the 'ucdavis.edu' portion of the address. Example of the output:
If not updated for accuracy and completeness, any other page that references the user's email address will result in a failure to function and deliver email intended to be sent to that individual. You can either update their email fields during the account creation process or have them check their profile as an initial step when they login for the first time.