Google Analytics 4 has arrived
The long awaited GA4 service has been added to the SiteFarm platform, but what does this mean for your existing Universal Analytics ID and how will you implement the new addition?
A great article from MeasureSchool titled "How to Upgrade to Google Analytics 4" by Julian Juenemann gives a fuller pictures, but here are the key takeaways to help you navigate the change:
- If you're already using a Universal Analytics (UA) ID, you will continue to use it
- You can create a Google Analytics 4 (GA4) ID and link it via the Google Analytics Dashboard to your UA propert(ies)
- Historical data will NOT be transferred to GA4; this new Google service is not currently a replacement for UA since they're continuing to build it it out and add more functionality and they will run in parallel until July 1, 2023 when the Universal Analytic IDs are set to stop collecting data
- You will be able to import UA configurations for specific elements you're tracking once your GA4 ID is created and you've linked it to your UA propert(ies)
- Once created, you will be able to switch back and forth between linked UA and GA4 views from your dashboard
- If you created an Analytics account between July 2019 and October 2020 and have a App + Web property, your account is already GA4-ready and the UA interface will have been updated with GA4
- If you don't have a Google Analytics account yet, go directly to using GA4
Review GA user assignments and permissions
Once you create your new GA4 property ID be sure to review who amongst your colleagues should have access and what level of rights they should have as this information is not automatically added to your new GA4 property ID.
Update your SiteFarm site's GA account information
Our training documentation in the managers' section has been updated with the steps to show you were to add your new property ID on your site's configuration.
Linking your accounts
- Create a Google Analytics account if you don't have one
- Add a GA4 property to your account
- Add the GA4 ID to your SiteFarm site: Google Analytics write-up
- Request Google Tag Manager module be enabled on your site via the Service Request Form