Avoiding the Hidden Gotchas
This page is intended to familiarize you with some key tips to help you avoid stumbling blocks down the road as you build your site.
- Check out our blogs, and especially the Tips, Hints and Best Practices, to keep up on common questions and issues other users have asked about
- The default out-of-the-box search box only searches your single site and then, only searches pages, not block content. Search engines outside your site will find everything. If you use Google Custom Search with your site, it will find all content and have the capability of searching multiple domains per your chosen configuration.
- As block content isn't visible to the search, as much as possible, make use of the page's WYSIWYG for your content and use the blocks for accents and peripheral content. Don't rely solely rely on blocks to convey important information.
- Your site can handle up to 185-200 blocks before it overloads the site's ability to process them all, so be thoughtful in how you apply your blocks. When possible reuse them (if the content and region location is the same) by listing multiple page locations in the block's Page | Visibility section.
- Certain types of blocks available in your site are based on a View. A View by itself doesn't contain any content; instead, it relies on a set of instructions (settings, sort orders, filters, queries) to decide what existing content from your site it should display. It's possible you may have a page with main content that is narrower than the width of the available space. It's possible a block containing a View is in the sidebar, but it doesn't have any content to display because nothing matches its display criteria. If you see this happen--an odd open space where you don't think one should be--you can use your Block Layout page to isolate the block creating this effect by disabling each one in turn (likely in the First or Second Sidebar) and checking the result on the page. Read the blog post for more detail.
- Don't delete the default navigation links; most of them link to default Views. Instead, only disable any menu links that you don't need in case you later change your mind.
- Images you add to your site should be 3MB in size or smaller, otherwise, they won't display due to an intentional size restriction.
- Use Box.com if you need to manage a large number of documents or have concerns about security or confidentiality of information.
- Videos and audio media should be saved on an alternate, appropriate hosting platforms like YouTube or Soundcloud. You can link to these services using the External Media link/block option.
- SiteFarm does not use auto-advancing image sliders or carousels.
- Your site does not have a limitation on the number of pages you can have.
- When using the Workflows and Content Moderation feature, be sure to delete unneeded Drafts from your page's Revision tab, NOT from the main Content list or else you will delete both page and the draft.